I recently needed a quick, fresh side dish idea for a potluck picnic. This time of year, delicious green beans are in season and offer the perfect spring flavor to any meal. This recipe is a breeze to prepare and with the balance of nutrients in the fresh vegetables and the awesome healthy fats found in walnuts, it is a wonderful complement to a community gathering.
This dish can be made ahead of time, but I suggest leaving the walnuts out until serving to maintain crispness. Injoy!
1 ½ pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1 cup walnuts
2-4 Tbls fresh snipped chives
2 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbls freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ tsp lemon zest
½ tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to boil. Add green beans and blanch for about 4-5 minutes until tender but still crisp.
- Drain using a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Place into a large bowl.
- Place the walnuts into an 8 x 8-inch baking dish and roast for about 10 minutes. Watch carefully as they burn easily.
- Place on a plate to cool, then chop and add to green beans.
- Wisk the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and add to the green beans and walnuts. Injoy!!