I’m feeling especially inspired today. On a visit with my family in California, I am celebrating my 30th birthday, my nephew Gavin’s 4thbirthday and my Dad’s wedding all at once this weekend. So many reasons for dessert! This time around, I have consulted one of my favorite cookbooks of all time, Nourishing Meals. And as usual, it didn’t disappoint! The recipe that follows is a modified version, quick, simple, and deliciously satisfying.
A quick tip: it’s best to use perfectly ripe or slightly under avocados. I used one that was a little over and the earthy, strong flavor resulted in needing to increase the lime juice, zest and honey. The avocado provides lots of healthy fats and lends itself wonderfully to this smooth, creamy tart, but you should not taste the avocado, lest it resemble guacamole!
I would be fibbing if I said my family, accustomed to Costco sheet cakes with buttery sugar frosting, came running to the kitchen ready to scarf up every last crumb. They were hesitant at first. But each and every one of them tried it and loved it. Even going back for seconds! I have a feeling I will be requested to make this one again on future visits. Win!
Macadamia Nut Crust:
1 cup raw macadamia nuts
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
4 medjool dates, pitted
pinch sea seat
4 small ripe avocados
6 Tbls. melted coconut oil
8 Tbls. freshly squeezed lime juice
5 Tbls. honey
3-4 tsp. lime zest
1. You will need a 9-inch spring form pan. Cut out a 9-inch circle of parchment or wax paper to line the bottom of the pan.
2. Place the macadamia nuts into a food processor with the S blade and process until finely ground. Be mindful nut to make nut butter!
3. Add shredded coconut, dates and salt. Process until combined.
4. Press an even layer in to the bottom of the pan.
5. Rinse out the food processor and add all of the ingredients for the filling. Process until smooth and creamy.
6. Pour into the pan with the crust and spread with a spatula or back of a spoon.
7. Freeze for 2 hours until set. Once it is frozen, remove from the freezer 30 minutes before you’d like to serve it. Garnish with lime zest or fresh berries. Enjoy!