This is a deliciously hearty spring supper. Simple and quick to prepare, stuffed bell peppers are a crowd pleaser every time! I used zucchini and portabella mushrooms in addition to red peppers and served them with a helping of lightly blanched asparagus. Make a larger batch and freeze the leftovers for quick meals throughout the week. Injoy!
2 Bell peppers, halved, cored and seeded
1 Tbls. Coconut oil
½ Large onion, diced
Sea salt and black pepper
4 Cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 lb. Ground beef, bison, lamb of turkey
2 cups fresh spinach
Fresh basil to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place the belle pepper halves facedown in a roasting dish and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- While the bell peppers are cooking, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, adding salt and pepper to taste, until translucent. Reduce to medium heat and add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the meat and cook until nearly done.
- Mix in the spinach and cook until wilted. 1-2 more minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and fresh basil to taste.
- Remove the peppers from the oven (they should be just a bit softened) and flip them over. Spoon the stuffing into each one.
- Put peppers back into the oven and roast for another 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
- Optional- use zucchini and portabella mushrooms in place of red peppers.