I am always looking to incorporate great breakfast recipes that don’t include eggs or grains. These delicious radish home fries make a wonderful breakfast with a handful of greens or spinach, or along side a scramble or omelet. In this simple and tasty preparation, the radishes soften much like potatoes and have a wonderful flavor, especially cooked with the bacon. Top with green onion for a fresh zing. Injoy!
1 lb radishes
3 pieces of bacon (or more if desired)
1⁄2 cup diced sweet onion or shallots
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄2 cup chicken bone broth
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Trim the ends of the radishes and cut each radish into quarters (cut smaller pieces in half).
2. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy and cooked through.
3. Set the bacon aside on paper towels to drain. Leave the renderings in the pan. (if you used more than 3 slices, drain off all but 2 Tbls. fat)
4. Add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and the radishes and stir to coat.
6. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the broth and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
8. Crumble the bacon into pieces and add to the radishes.